Tuesday, March 26, 2024

From parking purgatory to driving delight

I've got this daily commute.  Ten whole kilometers of highway, just to shuffle back and forth to work. But the real kicker is when I get past my little town and hit that twisty countryside road. Oh boy, the sights! It's like stepping into a postcard. I live for that part of the drive.

Every single time I'm behind the wheel, I'm counting my lucky stars. I mean, who would've guessed? Me, driving! After a lifetime of struggles, I finally snagged my license in my mid thirties. Talk about being a late bloomer!

Let me take you back to my first attempt at the driving test, here in Austria. I failed miserably from the get-go. First exercise: reverse parking. Parking?? HA HA HA...But hey, after a small fortune spent on extra lessons, I aced it on round two.

My driving school days? Oh man, those were the days. I fell head over heels for that manual transmission car. Somehow fate smiled upon me, because now I own the same car. Well, me and the bank, that is. But who cares? The universe had my back!

Fast forward to today, coming back home, whispering some sweet words to the "no indicator" car in front of me. Feeling important like a true driving queen as I elegantly take each turn. Out of the blue, reality check! My beloved car? Automatic. I'm no Formula 1 ace (unlike my "Nicky Lauda" partner). Oh dear, oh dear...My crown fell for a second!

But you know what? I'm absolutely rocking this whole "accelerate, brake, indicate" gig, and it feels fantastic!

Like the not so famous German song goes: Wie heißt die Mutter von Niki Lauda? Mama Lauda, Mama Lauda 😂


No comments:

Post a Comment